Kesar Gajar Ka Halwa is a traditional Indian dessert made with grated carrots, milk, sugar and ghee. It is a sweet and creamy dish that is perfect for special occasions and celebrations. Saffron, an expensive spice derived from the saffron crocus flower, adds a unique flavor and aroma to this delicious dessert.
To make Kesar Gajar Ka Halwa, you will need fresh carrots that are washed, peeled and grated. The key to making a good halwa is to cook the carrots in ghee till they are soft and golden brown. This process may take 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the heat and the size of the carrots.
Once the carrots are cooked, it's time to add the milk and cream. This will give the halwa its creamy texture and rich flavour. You can also add saffron threads to the milk to give the milk the unique aroma and color of the spice.
After adding milk, you have to cook the halwa on low flame for at least 30-40 minutes. This will allow the milk to be absorbed by the carrots and make them soft and tender. You will need to stir the mixture from time to time to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan.
After the milk is absorbed, you can add sugar and cardamom powder to the halwa. The sugar will make the halwa sweet, while the cardamom powder will give it a unique flavor and aroma. You have to cook the halwa for another 10-15 minutes till the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes thick and sticky.
You can add chopped almonds and pistachios to the mixture to finish off the halwa. This will give the halwa a crunchy texture and add some extra flavor to the dish. You can also garnish the halwa with silver leaf to make it more festive and elegant.
Kesar Gajar Ka Halwa is best served hot straight from the griddle. It is a rich and delicious dessert that is perfect for cold winter nights and festive occasions. It's also a great way to use up leftover carrots from your fridge. If you have never tasted Kesar Gajar Ka Halwa before, do try it and experience the unique taste and aroma of this delicious Indian dessert.
1 kg grated carrots
1 cup milk with 1/4 tsp saffron threads
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup ghee
1/2 cup chopped almonds and pistachios
1 tsp cardamom powder
Silver leaf for garnish (optional)
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add grated carrots and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring continuously.
- In a separate pan, heat the milk and cream together until hot. Add the saffron threads and let them soak for a few minutes.
- Add the milk mixture to the carrots and mix well. Cook on a slow flame for 30-40 minutes, while stirring occasionally, till the milk is absorbed and the carrots are soft.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder to the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes till the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes thick and sticky.
- Add chopped almonds and pistachios, mix and cook for 5-10 minutes till they are well combined.
Garnish with silver leaf and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious Kesar Gajar Ka Halwa!